Weekend Fire at Nopa Restaurant
(Photo by Caffeina; more from her series here.)
A Nopa regular (who swears by the pork chop) tells me he heard the damage is minimal, although he noted, "The crazy thing is that apparently, they have a box of tissues placed precariously next to a candle by the sinks." He continued, "Friday on my way to the bathroom I saw a woman stomping out tissues that had caught fire while she was washing her hands." Obvi, that little mid-dinner incident Friday didn't cause Saturday's conflagration, but it's unnerving, I'm sure, for the management.
(Reminds me of the time I caught my hair on fire sitting too close to a mid-wall shelf of votives at my buddy CB's cocktail party. Could've been a big disaster, but...wasn't. Phew!)
Anyone have more news on the Nopa fire? Comment if you know anything, and I'll update if I find any new info. So far, all I've gathered is that the restaurant's voicemail and website note that they will be closed for the Thanksgiving holiday from November 23 to Friday, Nov. 28 at 5pm.
(photo by Diana M.)
Here's hoping that there wasn't significant damage at this neighborhood hotspot, and hopeful wishes that they're back on track soon!